Friday, March 27, 2009

Is there cause for concern?

Yesterday Dwayne and I did something I was hoping would never happen. We officially became residence of Arizona. No offense to Arizona or the people that are residence here already. I've been a resident of Utah my whole life, so it was hard to let that all come to an end (for now). We also have Arizona license plates now. Another hard thing for me to swallow. I feel like I'm abandoning my roots. One thing that caught my eye on my new license was that it doesn't expire until 2045. If some of you aren't aware, that is a long time away. Now don't get me wrong, for those who never move from the state, that could be a great thing. You don't have to renew your license every 8 years or so or pay the fees for renewing. When you are 50 you will still have your beautiful youthful picture to look at, but that is what concerns me. I have a feeling when I'm 60 I'm not going to have the same youthful beauty as I do today. It's just a hunch, but I fear there will be a few more wrinkles, maybe some gray hair, and possibly more of those unthinkable things that happen as you age. I would love to think that none of this will happen, but I do know that time doesn't stand still. So what happens when you are at a store and they want to see your ID. I guess that doesn't really apply since no one really ever does that, or they don't really pay attention when they do ask for it. But what if!?! Some lady the other day studied my previous license to see if it looked like me, and that was only taken 5 years ago. I really didn't think I changed that much in five years! I guess the bags under my eyes (from lack of sleep as a mother) are starting to catch up with me, or the fact that I have some bangs again, and the fact that I rarely wear my contacts anymore through her for a loop? I don't know? But I can only imagine what will happen to my beautiful youthful looks in 36 more years. I'm sure I'll be glad to look back on my license and see what potential used to be there. There is also the concern of driving on the road with someone who received their license 30 - 40 years ago, maybe all their faculties aren't there any more. I know that Utah has a reputation for not having the best drivers, but until you come to Arizona, maybe everyone should give Utah drivers a little more credit. I've witnessed the craziness more than once, and more often than not the driver in the questionable car can barely see over the steering wheel. (Due to the fact of possible shrinkage over time - so someone who may have once been 5' 5" 30 years later may be 4' 9") Okay that may be an exaggeration, but you know what I mean. Well, watch out Arizona, because I'm not renewing my license until I'm 65, and then maybe they'll give me 30 - 40 more years, maybe they'll just let me send in for a renewal sticker and then when I'm 80 I can still look at my picture from my late 20's.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that about AZ drivers licenses...its hilarious! I too will be 65 when mine expires...imagine trying to get through airport security with that thing!!!

Kason said...

Man, I'm so glad I'm not alone with those feelings. The hardest part for me is when they handed me my Wisconsin license hot off the press and wouldn't let me leave the DMV until I surrendered my Utah license. I hope they choked on it!

Katie said...

That is hilarious. Arizona was the number one fake ID people would have when I worked at the bank. A lot of the fraud and ID's used were from Arizona. I guess it didn't take the criminals too long to figure Arizona's 35 year renewal was going to work perfectly for them! Anyways, I think it sounds better than being an Arkansan.

kp said...

Ironically, I was sad when I got my Utah one :) Although, with this AZ thing, i think you need to focus more on the fact that in 40 years you can flash your ID and say, "yeah, I was pretty darn hot!"

gentry's said...

hey thanks! im due november 25. the day before thanksgiving. we definitely werent planning it but we are totally excited! how are you feeling?

Kristen and Erik Cambridge said...

Haha this is funny. I have some friends from Arizona that are crazy drivers and would put Utah drivers to shame. Lets just say I buckle up my seat belt,close my eyes and hug my knees every time I ride with them.