Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lessons Learned

Last Saturday night we went to a Diamond Backs game. It was "give kids a smile" night and some of the proceeds went to Dwayne's school. We had decided to go to the game a little over a month ago and we were excited because it was our fist game and we thought Dylon would love it. He LOVES balls and sports as most boys do. Dwayne's dad at the last minute got a run down here for work so they came along with us.

Malia's eyes are so big from all the noise.

Dylon sitting for the briefest of moments, only because he has food.

*Warning, slightly long*

So, you wonder, why is this entry entitled "Lessons Learned"? When Dwayne's parents decided to come I debated whether or not we should even get more tickets. It could just be a guys night out, then his mom and I and Malia could go to the General Relief Society Conference. (which I didn't realize was this night when we first got the tickets.) We after some hesitation of going back and forth finally I decided that it would be fun to go, after all I could watch the conference online later, right?

We decided to take the train there because we didn't want to deal with traffic. We parked at the lot closest to us to avoid traffic. A few stops in our train stopped. We wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that Dylon pushed the Emergency button, but I'm sure it didn't. (Side note, what is it with kids and buttons. He also pushed the Emergency button at the splash pad. They really shouldn't make them so appealing and red, nor at a level where it is easily accessed by a child!) Okay, back to story. We sat there for a few minutes while the conductor/driver walked frantically around with a walkie talkie. Okay, no big deal, we would be a little late. Well, about 20 mins later after exiting the train we were on they had us getting onto a new train. So we finally get there during the 6th inning. Finally!! So the men go get the food and by the time they get back Dylon is already super restless from our 40+ min train ride. Dwayne walked around with him for a while and took him up to the "sandlot" that they have there for kids. Meanwhile Malia is bawling and HATING all the noise. Guess I should have realized. So finally after a long 3 innings we decide we need to leave because it is getting late and we need to get Dylon home to bed. We get on a train easily with open seats, yay!! After a few stops they say that this train is shutting down for the night and we have to get off. SERIOUSLY!!! So we get off the train, wait a good 10 - 15 mins for another train. By this time the game had ended and the next one to come was PACKED. The conductor said that another train was right behind him. Did you hear that, "RIGHT". I don't know if 20 mins is "right behind". So Dylon was fairly good on this whole adventure, I admit. But by this time it was way past his bedtime. I was just annoyed by this time. Mostly because I wished I had just gone to the conference like a "good girl" would have. Oh and the fact that we had about 50 extra minutes of waiting time tacked onto our night by the dumb train!

Later I was talking to Dwayne explaining my frustrations, if his mom and I had just gone then all the timing would have been different and they would have missed all the dud trains. Then he proceeds to tell me it took him 3 times logging in to get the 2 extra tickets. The system was giving him problems. Maybe it was coincidence, maybe it was a sign, I don't know. All I know is that I learned my lesson and I will TRY to NEVER miss Relief Society Conference again!!

All that and I still don't know who won the game. Go Diamond Backs!!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Sunshine and Lazy days said...

I'm sure that you won't miss the next conference! Malia is getting so big! She looks like a gentry! Seriously all these new cousins that I need to meet! =)

Emily said...

What a crazy adventure. Note to self: don't ride the trains!

kp said...

yeah, our family learned that lesson when all the extended family decided to go to disneyland over conference weekend and watch it later. What we didn't know is the first weekend in october at disneyland is always gay pride (not sponsored by disney) and they all come and it's quite the display. We learned our lesson

Brit said...

wow, isn't that quite the experience. so sorry!

Sheffers said...

I am sorry, bummer. Trains suck! I didnt get to go to the conference either. bummer!