Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Warning - potty talk

This year started off with the attempt to potty train Dylon. *Sigh* We figured he will be three in a few months and that since our garbage every week is 3/4 or more diapers (most of our stuff goes in recycling) we should probably get him out of them. Oh the lack of poopy bums were a good incentive for us too! Well after much research on toilets that worked best for boys I found that this froggy potty had the best reviews. Dylon loves it too so that was great! The first few days we were gung-ho about the whole thing, or at least I was. Dylon hadn't quite gotten on board yet (he still hasn't). He was really good at peeing and had no problem as long as I made him get on. We had all sorts of exciting incentives for him, M&M's, a sticker chart, and the first day we made phone calls to dad and his grandma's to tell them the EXCITING news. Well, I thought it was exciting, he was excited for about a second then he was off and could care less. He peed a few times in his underwear and could've cared less, he just sat in it and never said anything to me. I noticed when I'd go to put him on the potty. After much exhaustion (who knew this could be so draining on the mom!?!) I was ready to just give up. That night when he was going to bed he said he needed to go. I thought he was just trying to get out of going to bed but little to my surprise he sat down and peed. Yay! Maybe just maybe he is getting it after all. He did that a one or two more times in the next few days but mostly pees in his underwear and doesn't even care that he is all wet. Oh, he poops in his underwear too, luckily I wasn't home for that one:) He finally did poop once, BARELY, in the froggy which earned him a hippo with one play-doh, a BIG sticker, and lots of M&M's. He won't go anymore though. I've tried getting him there when I know he normally goes poop, but he just sits there, then as soon as a diaper goes back on, (naps, bedtime, or going out) he lets loose. (I'm not ready for underwear while sleeping or while I'm out and about. I need more consistency and him telling me he needs to go before I will do that)

It's really frustrating because he could really care less about the whole thing. I've tried to be excited but that boat has sailed, there is no more excitement. Alas, he may be potty trained by Christmas if we are lucky. Here's to hoping ;)

This is about as excited as he is about all this.
This is what he got for his first pooplet. He would get more colors if he ever did a repeat!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I know everyone with boys gives the same advice, but having just gone through it, I whole-heartedly agree- JUST WAIT! Boys can "get it" all they want, but until they care,...it ain't gonna happen. Also, I am SO SORRY! I have not forgotten about walking, but seriously jacked my foot at the gym! I had subs for my classes all week, but am feeling a little better. I don't want to risk hurting it again before my class Friday morning, so we can aim for Friday night...or does a walk around the neighborhood with your gimpy friend not count as a hot date??? Let me know!

Sherri Macdonald said...

I have to tell you that I don't even push it until they are almost 3. Boys are stubborn about the potty for some reason. I got really gung-ho with Jacob when he was 2 and thought, I'm gonna be that Mom that potty trains her boy early. He still didn't do it until 3. Tyler I didn't even try until he was 3 and Aaron potty trained 2 weeks after his 3rd birthday. I will be attempting the training 1 last time this summer with Jared. He turns 3 in July. Don't fully give up, just relax about it. If you stress him out about it he won't do it at all. And once my boys decided it was time they did it in about 3-5 days, dry at nap, dry at night and going on their own. Keep encouraging but don't push and he will catch on. Although at times it may seem that Malia will be trained before him!

The Burnah Clan said...

I have to tell you: "Potty Training for Dummies!"
It did NOT potty train my kids, but it sure gave me an awesome attitude about the whole thing...I read several books about it too. The best line in it, I'll have to paraphrase: "show me some respect in this awesome adventure and I will return it to you ten-fold." haha! Good LUCK!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

I was sad to hear your frustrations...and it doesn't make me excited for my own to come.

Anonymous said...

Oh Marie, You make me laugh (only because I just went through the same thing with Kyler!) I have the same potty and I did the same thing as you, but until they are ready, it's NOT worth it! It's horrible to have 2 in diapers (trust me I know) but the best advice is to just wait. Put him back in diapers and wait until he's 3. Going back and forth from diapers to underwear is confusing for them and why stress yourself out? Once they are ready it should only take about a week or 2. But no matter what you do ... GOOD LUCK! Once he is ready, a HUGE motivator for Kyler was to pee in the snow with dad (as gross as is sounds) but it was super exciting to him and it inspired him to want to be a big boy like dad. Let's just hope this doesn't teach him it's OK to whip it out anytime he wants while he's outside playing. LOL!
Emilee (Sundberg)

Harmony said...

Marie,
I'm sure you have fantastic friends but I'm going to have to disagree. It IS possible to potty train Dylan. I promise. I'm sure it's easier to wait until they "want" to do it, but you may be waiting until they are 4. Seriously. Who wants to change a big man poop out of their pre-schoolers diaper? Not me! So let me give you a couple pointers that, at least, worked for us. Spend the extra money on pull-ups. Don't put him in the underwear right away. Put his pull-ups in his dresser drawer just like they are big boy underwear. Have him pull them up and down and when you are changing him (unless it's a poop) keep him standing up and treat the pull-ups just like underwear. Once he's kept them dry for a little while use the undies (let him pick out his favorite kind) as a reward. Also, get rid of the little potty! I can't tell you how much easier it will be to train him! You will have to help him get up and down for a while since the big potty is so BIG, but it will be worth it. They feel bigger up there, and you can keep them up there because he won't be able to get down as easy. Go buy a Diego potty seat (or whatever floats his boat), have one for each of your bathrooms and that will make it even easier. (Plus, to me cleaning out a potty seat is just as bad as a diaper and then you still have to train them off of that.) I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS! It's not easy. You'll probably get really frustrated. You might even cry. But in a few weeks, when it's all in the past you will be SOOOO happy. It took 4-5 weeks to potty train P. He started wearing underwear "full-time" at 23 months. So I know it's possible. It was a hard process, but it was possible. And it is SOOO worth it to not have to buy those diapers anymore, (or change those man poops!)

Wow! That was so long! Sorry.

The Woods said...

My sympathies. No advice from the mom who was cut out to do just about anything but potty train. Honestly, I'd rather change diapers.... Good luck to you.