Thursday, February 12, 2009

Surprise Party!!

I decided this year since it was Dwayne's 30th Birthday, I'd throw him a surprise party. He kept saying he didn't want anything, (until two days before), and I wanted him to be able to celebrate with good friends. The only thing he said he wanted for his birthday was to go to the temple. Well, that could be arranged. I had quite the busy day trying to get everything together and cleaned. I decided I was going to make carrot cake from scratch; carrot cake is one of his favs and I thought it would be even better if it wasn't from a box. Well, if you have never made one of these cakes from scratch, make sure you have time, carrots take some time to grate by hand. Anyway, I was lucky enough to have my friend Michelle down here in AZ for a few days so she said she would watch Dylon and let people in. Accompanied by Karen and her cute little girl Alexis they were able to entertain Dylon. I don't even think he knew I left! Make a long story semi-shorter, since I was behind, we got to the temple late. I suggested on the way that we do something shorter since I can't sit as long since I'm PG, which is true, my bladder is the size of an almond right now! (But also so we could get home on time, although he didn't know this part of it.) Well, the shorter ended up being longer, much longer!!! I was dying, the party was supposed to start at 6:00 pm (the guests got there at 5:45pm), and we were still in there at 5:59, 6:00, 6:01, 6:02...you see where this is going. I was ready to just tell Dwayne everything and get us out of there ASAP. Instead I really tried to just concentrate on what we were doing, not very successfully by the way. When we finally were done I rushed into the locker room and texted a few of the gals quickly. Shhhh, don't tell any of the temple workers! Needless to say, we got home a little late, okay, more than a little, 1 HOUR!!!!! On the way home I used the excuse I needed to go home because I felt really sick and needed to get some Tylenol before we went out for dinner. Finally after much persuading, he came in too to change his clothes. I'm so thankful that we have such wonderful friends. They were soooooo patient. Thank you to all you wonderful friends, we love you all!! It ended up being a lot of fun, despite the stress I was going through. If you made it though this entry and you know me, this was the condensed version!! I wish I could have gotten a picture of Dwayne's face when he walked in and everyone came out to surprise him. I wondered if he had any clue and he said he had no clue I had planned anything.
Here are a few pictures of our great friends. Thanks Michelle and Karen for all that you did to help out, you both are wonderful!!
(I've been testing different things in Picasa to get more pictures on in less time.)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Harmony said...

Sounds like fun! Time lines never go as planned for me either.

Heather said...

Surprise parties are stressful. I haven't officially thrown one but have helped with a few and they are hard!

I've too made a carrot cake from scratch and it was probably the first and last time I do it. It was a very long process and ended up costing a lot more than a mix or a store-bought cake! Oh well, it was good at least.